Sunday

SLEEP OR GET SICK


By now many of you may have heard the news story connecting deep sleep with obesity and diabetes.

What I understand is that depriving your body of "slow-wave" or deep sleep does two fold damage. The first is that children studied do tend to be overweight if they do not get the proper sleep, and obesity leads to diabetes. I know this must have some scientific cause, but I can tell you from my personal experience that I tend also to make the situation worse by waking every two hours and getting a snack. Not to worry, I have been working on fixing that problem lately, by just having something to drink that's no calorie, like water or a drink of diet soda. You may think that is the reason I get up so often, but it doesn't seem to matter, with the diabetes I'd be going every couple hours anyway.

The second reason is that when your body doesn't get the deep sleep it doesn't handle insulin very well, and they say that even just three days of no slow-wave sleep is the equivalent of gaining from between 20 and 30 pounds. If that isn't enough to make you get your deep sleep I don't know what is!

0 comments:

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Die Or Beat This