Sunday

Finding Out




I was ill. I knew it and those around me knew it, but when you live paycheck to paycheck and don't have health insurance, you tend not to run to the doctor over every little thing.
It wasn't until my sight started to fail, that I panicked and went to the emergency room. My sugar was over 700 and the doctors told me I was dying and that I had to stay in the hospital so they could save my life.
I was concerned, but surprisingly not scared. I think I knew somewhere deep inside that I caused myself to have this condition. It followed that I also had the power to control it.
Anyway I left the hospital with a couple of the doctors telling me that I had to give myself insulin injections and that I had to go to the county hospital to be under a doctors care. They said if I didn't go I'd be right back in the same state within three to four days.
While they were preparing me to leave, one doctor on my team came to me and whispered in my ear, "You can beat this". He leaned back and looked into my eyes and nodded his head. I asked if it was really possible and he nodded and whispered again, "You can beat this".
A nurse had come to say goodbye also, and she said the same thing to me. Again in a low voice, as if it was a secret.
I thought by the way the others were talking that I would be on the insulin and getting worse till I got older and died, but now I had hope. I had to force myself to ignore the naysayers and find ways to get better myself.
I did.

0 comments:

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Die Or Beat This